The Blue Wonder: Why the Sea Glows, Fish Sing, and Other Astonishing Insights from the Ocean
“If you like your books to be brimming with interesting science, then dive in!”
—Tristan Gooley, New York Times-bestselling author of How to Read Water
This intimate account of the beauty, mystery and amazing science of the ocean is an excellent gift for ocean and nature lovers, or the aspiring marine biologist in your life!
In The Blue Wonder, marine biologist and diver Frauke Bagusche brings readers on a fascinating and beautiful deep-sea dive into the ocean. Drawing on scientific discoveries and her own research, she uses photographs and playful prose to reveal:
- deep-sea reefs that glitter like glass
- fish that converse with each other by singing––loudly
- an octopus that imitates more than fifteen other animals
- the secret behind why the sea glows at night
- “weddings” that happen amongst the coral
- underwater “drugstores”
- and even fish that clean her own teeth!
Humans know more about the moon’s surface than we do about the ocean. There is so much to be discovered, under the sea. With the heart of a poet and the mind of a scientist, Frauke Bagusche re-awakens our love for the sea and ignites a desire to protect this vital habitat.